Hi there! Are you watching the super bowl (or commercials) tonight? I don’t have TV so I relaxing, watching Into the Woods, baking cookies, painted my nails (orange!) and watching Superbowl commercials on YouTube. I started that out with relaxing right? I have trouble doing one thing at a time
As I was sitting, in between batches of chocolate chip cookies, I realized I hadn’t posted in a very long time. Does writing posts in my head count? No? Oh well, I tried. I do have several posts outlined and I did finally get my camera, computer and chord all in one place. Now I just have to sit down and put it all together! Anyway, this time last year, I was sitting downstairs at my brothers house with my sister-in-law “watching” the super bowl. I say “watching” because I was organizing lesson plans and my work sample information and only partially paying attention. This year, I have no TV, so I am watching Into the Woods and looking on YouTube to see if I am missing any commercials that I could use in lessons to talk about music in pop culture…and I kind of like watching Superbowl commercials
Note to self, do not double a cookie recipe unless I have a larger bowl!
Barely fitting in the bowl
About a week ago (oops!), I was tagged by Emma over at the Sweet Tooth Runner in 11 Things. Better late then never right?
Here we go!
Here are the survey “rules”:
#1: You must post these rules.
#2: Each person must post 11 things about themselves on their blog.
#3: Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post and create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
1. I was home-schooled K-12. The only “public school” experiences I had was taking drivers education and accompanying the local high school choir my junior and senior years. I guess you could count taking spanish at a Christian school fifteen miles away, but there was only two other students int he physical classroom (it was a satellite class).
2. I call myself a planned surprise My parents wanted to have a third child but God chose to have them wait until my brothers were much older. I was born in the summer and my oldest brother was a freshman in college that fall. There are only two years between my two brothers.
3. I love to read and have at least one box of books that are sitting waiting for me to read them. Occasionally I will pick one up to start but then it gets put back on the shelf. In high school and college, I always had at least one book with me. You never know when you will have a few minutes to read. I found the best times to read were in the car before I had a license and waiting for my classes to start in college.
4. I took organ lessons but had trouble coordinating my feet and hands. I often would confuse the pedal line for the bass clef line thus playing the pedal notes in my left hand and my left hand notes in my feet. Oops!
5. Some of my favorite movies to watch are old black and white movies and tv show. And don’t forget about the classic musicals!
6. For a very brief time before college, I considered doing a double option in music and art. The art department told me that was not a wise combination…so I chose to do a double option in music education and piano performance
7. I almost lost my keys the first time my parents let me drive by myselft. I was one minute late by the clock my mom was looking at. The reason I was late? I stopped to move a cardboard box out of the road a block away from home. I knew I should have put it in the car as proof!
8. I never learned how to use the brakes on roller scates. I always would allow myself to slow down and glide into the wall. That worked really well until the day that I ran into the wall, full force with both of my palms. Couldn’t play the piano for at least a week!
9. I have never broken a bone. Sprained and dislocated, but never broken. When I was younger, I wanted a broken bone, probably so people could sign my cast. I even had it figured out that the only limb I could break was my left leg so that I could still play the piano and use my right foot for the pedal. I latter found out when I was on crutches that you could easily twist your body so you could use your left leg
10. I love most casseroles but have issues when foods that are supposed to be separate are touching. For example, mixed veggies are a huge no, and peas and mashed potatoes cannot be touching. However, I love vegetable soup. I also tend to eat one thing at a time when I have several things on my plate.
11. If it wasn’t for my love of reading, I would probably be a terrible speller. I hated spelling in school and refused to learn the spelling rules. They did not make sense to me and my logic was if I could not apply them, why memorize them. Thank goodness for spellcheck!
Here are Emma’s Questions:
1. What is your biggest goal/dream right now? My biggest dream is to travel and see the world. Going to Poland a couple of summers ago in addition to having many international friends, has enticed me to visit my friends and family and see new places in the United States and oversees.
2. Which place in the world would you like to visit the most, and why? I cannot narrow down to one place. The places I really want to visit are New Zealand, South Korea, and Japan. New Zealand because I have heard it is beautiful and it intrigues me. South Korea because of the Korean friends and roommates I have had and my love for Korean food. One of the biggest reasons I would like to visit South Korean and Japan is to visit friends that live over there that i have not seen in a really long time.
3. What is your favorite book? Not Regina by Christmas Carol Kauffman. The setting is England during the reformation and the growing movement of antibaptists. Because of all the books I want to read, it is very seldom that I will re-read a book. I think I have re-read this book at least three times if not more. Sign of a good book! (You can find it on Amazon)
4. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? For a while I remember wanting to be a tennis player and an artists, at the same time. Then I added being a mom to the mix. Then dropped out being a tennis player and decided to homeschool, then for a very brief time, I thought about being a nurse, then I took a break and just read I have no idea where the idea of being a tennis player came from since I never played tennis and we very seldom ever watched it on TV. Who knows!
5. What has been the best moment in your life so far? I can think of several that all happened within the last two years. The summer of 2010 I had the opportunity to participate in a piano master class in Poland that changed my views of practice and playing music. In 2011 I student taught under two wonderful mentors, finally graduated and got my first job! In August of 2011 I started my first job as a K-12 vocal teacher in Northern Illinois. How life has changed in the last two years.
6. Your favorite color? Green, of course! I think I might start adding some orange accents around my house.
7. If you could meet anyone in the world, who would it be? Hmmm, that one leaves me puzzled for a little bit. There are of course, several bloggers that I would love to meet in person and a few conductors that I would love to have the opportunity to observe or work with. As far as specific people…that would take a little more thought than I am able to right now.
8. Are you an introvert or an extrovert? I consider myself an introvert since I am not energized by people, although I do enjoy being around people. I usually become more extroverted once I get to know people. Around some of my friends I can become very goofy!
9. If you could run any race, what would it be? That would mean I would have to actually run Over the summer, I started the C25K but didn’t finish. It is definitely something I want to try out. I would love to run a race that has a celebration atmosphere. Maybe a rock and roll marathon or a relay race?
10. Do you have any fears or phobias? I have become afraid of birds when I am driving. On one of my many trips to my piano lessons while I was learning how to drive, I had a hawk fly into my windshield. And yes, you did read that correctly. I was driving on a country road and saw a hawk flying up from the road. I figured since it was flying up I didn’t need to slow down. Wrong, very wrong. It decided to land again and before it had time to get out the way and before I could react, it hit my windshield. I did not swerve but I did duck Ever since, I have occasionally slowed down for birds when driving. I probably shouldn’t watch Alfred Hitchcock’s movie The Birds…
11. In a film of your life, which actress would play you? I am going to either go with Lucille Ball because I like her and have always wanted red hair or Anne Hathaway because watching Princess Diaries and the Devil Wears Prada made me enjoy her as an actress.
I tag…Georgia at More Like Home!
1. What is your favorite food?
2. What is your dream job?
3. Favorite movie/TV show?
4. Favorite game?
5. Do you like sports? Do you prefer to play or watch?
6. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
7. Your dream vacation would be…
8. Do you prefer to bake or cook?
9. What is your favorite craft?
10. City or small town? Why?
11. Favorite thing that happened in 2011 and what you are most looking forward to in 2012
Like what you read? Leave a comment for me to better connect with you, subscribe, or share with others!